Free songs

Feeling Flushed? A Look At Rosacea

Jul 20 • Skin Disease, Skin Health • 1591 Views • Comments Off on Feeling Flushed? A Look At Rosacea

Rosacea (ro-ZAY-she-uh) is a skin condition that causes redness on your nose, cheeks, chin and forehead and also causes burning and soreness in the eyes and eyelids. Sometimes, people may mistake for it adult acne because the outbreaks look similar to pimples. Generally, rosacea is cyclic, meaning symptoms usually come and go for weeks at a time.

Although the exact cause of rosacea is unknown, people who might have this condition tend to be fair-skinned, easily blushed, female, and between the ages of 30 and 50.  Some environmental factors can aggravate rosacea by increasing blood flow to the skin’s surface including: hot foods, alcohol, temperature extremes, sunlight, stress, strenuous exercise, hot baths, corticosteroids, and drugs that dilate blood vessels.

Symptoms include redness, increased number of spider-like blood vessels in the face, a red nose, irritated and bloodshot eyes, acne-resembling skin eruptions, and stinging sensation in the entire face.

Rosacea is generally harmless and has no real cure. Here are common ways to prevent rosacea flare-ups:

  • Avoid sun exposure. Use sunscreen every day.
  • Avoid prolonged exertion in hot weather.
  • Try to reduce stress. Try deep breathing, yoga, or other relaxation techniques.
  • Limit spicy foods, alcohol, and hot beverages.

There are topical and oral medications that can treat and reduce the symptoms of roseacea. Topical medications such as benzoyl peroxide and azelaic acid may help reduce inflammation and redness. Oral antibiotics such as tetracycline can help prevent inflammation as well. Lastly, isotretinoin, (popularly known as Accutane) a powerful medication, can also be used to treat severe inflammation. However, Accutane is very strong and requires close monitoring by a dermatologist.

Treatment and care for rosacea depends on each individual and the severity of their symptoms. Please talk to your dermatologist or physician if you think you might have this skin condition.

Related Posts

Comments are closed.

« »